2010-08-09

Last year was very memorable

Especially at the end of last summer. ^_____^ Don't know why, but I see that month as an official benchmark for my skill level now. I produced a lot of small pieces to show the scale of my capabilities at the time; I think the process of refinement of my character stylization started truly growing at that point. Me and Matt's friendship grew through illustration, and even though I was not in Boston most of the time, we still covered lengthy topics like sources of inspiration, techniques and exchanged critiques--day and night. Eventually we started picking up different elements of each other's work into our own. I think this was most memorable because it was a period of fast change and new ideas.

This was done last august on the 24th, exactly two weeks after today. That's two weeks until a year. LOOK HOW CRAPPY I WAS. D: Actually I am still horrible right now--but at least there is strong progress. I still feel like I could've improved stronger than this though.

Anyways as soon as I get those strands right I want a more personal stylized method for coloring hair, preferably one that is chunkier. Right now I am taking a break from coloring/drawing hair to color/draw some more hair. Today I meant to mess around with google sketchup but I never got to. Instead I spent most of my day cleaning this poop hole I call my apartment (and three other people. Usually an additional 4th person who is a guest. Now you know why it can be so disgusting..)

I really want to try and draw something technical--at least one for this summer!!

At least I am learning some nifty things though, like clipping masks. It can be so versatile.

Also I'm thinking on doing some "tutorials" (that is, how I do things) but the more I think about it, the more complicated it gets if I want to make sure I am thorough. Doing all those examples are going to be tough..

Well anyways I was considering on one of these:
1) Anatomy
2) Hair
3) How I paint faces (not like the above lol, that one is a crapdoodle)

What do you think?

Yeah Kate has a point. A very good one haha, I forgot there were other things I wanted to do before summer was over.. things with a much higher priority.

5 comments:

  1. Quit Saying Crap >:l I know we joke but I can't help but feel to chastise you for using such a slap-stick term on your art. Take the first link,BOTH drawings are exceptionally good because it is as you have stated they portray your "progress and strength" as a skilled artisan but also as a determined head strong individual.
    So quit saying crap.
    GOODNIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first of all, you kick ass, so cut that out! Haha

    Second of all, screw tutorials - If there was something I wanted to see from you, it would definitely be more backgrounds and character interaction. :O I love how you draw faces and emotions already, but expaaaaannnnd~ like a happy balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, believe me when I say that I am glad that I've seen some progress, but there are a bunch of artists my age who still have so much more skill than I do in modelling, illustrating and painting. (Is it a wonder that they are all from europe..?) I'm trying to keep my eyes facing towards the best so I catch up to their level. D:
    I'm not depressed, just determined. But thanks everyone q.q;;; I will stop saying crap from now on haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly Jes! Don't worry about "catching up"! Art's not a foot race after all! It's fun! ;)

    Every person moves at their own pace, and there's nothing bad about that. Your friends probably have their own reasons for where they are with their work as you do for yours. Whether they are more skilled at this or that is both independent of, and irrelevant in terms of what you are doing as an individual. :D

    Keep the focus on YOU, and you'll never go wrong! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate I wub you. ;w;

    JESS

    lets have a serious drawing day together soon!

    ReplyDelete